Applicants should meet the minimum graduate school requirements
- A four-year baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited college or university prior to beginning graduate studies
- At minimum, a cumulative grade point average equivalent to minimum of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (B grade) in all prior undergraduate course work.
- International applicants must also provide a minimum of 550 on the paper based TOEFL test, a 213 on the computer based TOEFL, 79 on the Internet Based TOEFL or 7 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam.
Applicants should meet the ESGP minimum standards
- GRE score above 311 on the combined verbal and quantitative portions, and 4.0 on analytical writing portion.
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university with a major in natural, physical or social sciences. A minimum of 4 credits of college calculus and/or statistics; 7 credits in physical science; 3 credits in biological sciences.
Applications from those in fields not normally related to environmental science will be considered when special merit warrants. Students with limited course work deficiencies may be admitted conditionally and must remove deficiencies within an academic year.
The application is reviewed by the ESGP Graduate Studies Committee and all aspects of the application are considered. The committee is looking for evidence of interdisciplinary interest and leadership potential.
Applicants must find an ESGP advisor
All ESGP students must have an advisor before they can be admitted to the program. This pairing is the most challenging step in the process. The pairing works in several directions.
- Prospective students contact faculty directly based on their information posted on the ESGP Directory.
- Faculty may request to review application files —both complete and pending—seeking appropriate students for their research team. If not yet accepted, faculty can inform the office of their willingness to serve as the student's advisor.
- Listings of accepted students needing advisors are circulated to the faculty to aid in finding advisors for students.
The pairing process can take time, based on the availability of GA support.
Here are some application/acceptance/matriculation numbers from a typical year:
- Completed Application: 65 Students
- Accepted by ESGP Graduate Studies Committee: 35 Students
- Paired with advisors, admitted, and enrolled: 13 Students