Our program admits for Autumn Semester and students must apply online and submit all materials (Graduate Admissions and program requirements) electronically through the Office of Graduate Admissions. Your recommenders will receive an email from the university 1-3 days after you submit your application with instructions for uploading their letters.
November 30: International applicant deadline for fellowship consideration
December 15: Domestic applicant deadline for fellowship consideration
February 15: Deadline for non-fellowship consideration or self funded
As a member of the Big Ten Academic Alliance, Ohio State participates in the FreeApp Fee Waiver Program. For information on the program and to see if you are eligible, go to the Big 10 Academic Alliance web site.
- Personal statement
- Résumé and Curriculum Vitae
- Three letters of recommendation*
- University Transcripts**
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores (for international applicants)
- One or more Affidavit of Support for International Graduate Students forms and all required supporting financial documents (for international applicants)
- A $70 application fee for foreign students or $60 application fee for domestic students
*Note on Letters of Recommendation: You will be asked to list 3 recommenders as part of the online application and they will receive and email with a link to upload letter.
**Note on Transcripts: Please use the "Upload Transcript" button to send copies (front and back) of official transcripts from ALL institutions where college credit was earned--even if you attended while in high school. International Credentials should include certified educational records and degree certificates or diplomas in the original language with English translations. If you are admitted to the university as a graduate student, you will be required to submit final official transcripts. Do not send the Graduate and Professional Admissions Office paper official transcripts unless specifically requested by our office. Transcripts take 2-4 weeks to process once received. Students are responsible for requesting official transcripts from their institutions in plenty of time to allow OSU to process them prior to the deadline.
If you have questions about your application, please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions. Phone: (614) 292-9444 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instructions for the Personal Statement
The Graduate Studies Committee wants to understand as fully as possible your interest in research pursued through the Environmental Science Graduate Program. Toward this objective, prepare a detailed statement covering the questions and points as outlined. The questions below can be adequately addressed in two typed single-spaced pages or less.
- Describe your understanding of the purpose of environmental science.
- Describe the specific nature of your undergraduate and/or postgraduate research experience.
- Describe full or part-time employment, volunteer, or extra-curricular activities as they relate to environmental science.
- Discuss how your academic and social development has contributed to your motivation and potential for scientific research.
- Why are you seeking advanced education at this time? Do you have the necessary resources to begin a study program if you do not receive financial support through Environmental Science or the university?
- Why did you choose to apply to the Environmental Science Graduate Program at The Ohio State University?
On a separate sheet of paper: based on areas of research that interest you, select three members of the Environmental Science faculty. List your choices in order of preference and specify what particular research problems or fields of study interest you most. This will tell us your interests, as well as let us know who you are contacting. While faculty will sometimes peruse student applications themselves, it is up to you to contact faculty you would like to be your advisor. Feel free to contact more than one at a time.
Once Your Application is Complete
The Graduate Studies Committee of the ESGP will ONLY review applications that are complete.
If our graduate studies committee votes to admit a student and faculty member agrees to advise a student (the faculty member will email the ESGP office confirming this), then you will be admitted to the program.
Since the pairing process with advisors can take some time, students are encouraged to begin contacting potential advisors at the time of application. Faculty can request to view your application materials through the ESGP office.
Contact Information for Questions
Kelly Malone, the ESGP Coordinator, is your contact for questions about specific ESGP admissions criteria.
Environmental Science Graduate Program
3138A Smith Lab
174 W. 18th Ave.
Columbus, OH 43210 USA
Phone: (614) 292-9762
Contact the Admissions Office if you have any questions about the application or admission process. An admissions counselor will also be happy to check the status of your application for you.
The Ohio State University
SAS Bldg. 1st Floor, 281 West Lane Ave.
Columbus Ohio 43210-1200
Phone: (614) 292-9444
Fax: (614) 292-3895